13 September 2017
This afternoon WPA presented our 2017 research ‘Crossrail 2: Catalyst for Growth in Central London‘ to the All Party Parliamentary Group for London.
Jon Neale Head of UK Research at JLL and the research’s author, gave an overview of the report, explaining that Central London’s real estate industry backs Crossrail 2; we are prepared to help fund the scheme (as part of a fair funding package); and that supportive local planning frameworks will help maximise London’s financial contribution to the project, whilst providing opportunities for placemaking, the next generation of workplaces in Central London and new homes across the capital and wider South East.
Parliamentarians in the room included:
- Bob Neill MP (Conservative, Bromley & Chislehurst – Co-Chair of the APPG for London)
- David Lammy MP (Labour, Tottenham – Co-Chair of the APPG for Crossrail 2)
- Ruth Cadbury MP (Labour, Brentford & Isleworth); Lord Tope (Liberal Democrat)
- Sir Edward Davey MP (Liberal Democrat, Kingston & Surbiton)
- Jim Fitzpatrick MP (Labour, Polar & Limehouse)
- Catherine West (Labour, Hornsey & Wood Green)
- Mike Gapes (Labour, Ilford South)
- Lord Harris of Haringey (Labour)
- Daniel Zeicher MP (Labour, Cambridge).
As well as the Co-Chairs (Bob and David), the main panel of speakers for the meeting were Val Shawcross (Deputy Mayor of London for Transport); Michèle Dix, Managing Director of Crossrail 2; Phil Graham, CEO of the National Infrastructure Commission and Cllr Darren Rodwell (Leader of LB Barking & Dagenham and Executive Member at London Councils).
During the meeting, it was stated that Transport Secretary Chris Grayling had spoken positively about Crossrail 2 at today’s Transport Times UK Rail Summit, saying:
“Because we can never return to the ‘stop-start-and-stop-again’ planning of the past, it’s vital we carry forward the next generation of rail projects. So work will continue on developing Northern Powerhouse Rail and Crossrail 2.”